The registration period to submit the application for the third edition of the European Capital of Innovation Award, iCapital, is now open.
As reported by Carlos Moedas, Commissioner for Research, Science and Innovation, in his presentation video, the European Commission has launched the third edition of the iCapital Award to select the most innovative European city, which will be named “European Capital of Innovation”. The award will be given to the city that has made more efforts in innovation with the objective of solving the societal challenges that most concern the EC.
Winning cities of previous editions were Barcelona (in 2014, with a prize of 500.000 € for introducing the use of new technologies in bringing cities closer to citizens) and Amsterdam (in 2016, with a prize of 950.000 € for its holistic vision of innovation in relation with four areas of urban life: governability, economy, social inclusion and quality of life).
This year, the awards will consist of:
- 000.000 € for the city that wins first prize
- 000 € for the cities that win second and third prize
These awards will help expand innovation activities in the selected cities.
All cities that meet the following requirements may enter the competition:
- Belonging to one of the Member States of the EU or to one of the countries associated to the Horizon 2020 Research and Innovation Program.
- Having a population above 100.000 inhabitants (in those countries where there is no such city, the city with a higher population will be eligible for the prize).
An independent panel of external experts will evaluate the cities that submit their innovation solutions (initiated from January 1, 2016) taking into consideration the way they address the relevant societal challenges they presented in their applications and, in particular, cities will have to demonstrate how local conditions were created in order to innovate through:
- Experimenting new and innovative concepts, processes, tools and models of governance.
- Engaging citizens in the innovation process and ensure the uptake of their ideas.
- Expanding the city’s appeal to become a role model for other cities.
- Empowering the local ecosystem through the implementation of innovative practices.
To participate, applications must be submitted here before June 21, 2017 at 17:00 (Brussels time).
Follow us on Twitter.